Folge uns

In English

Match report: Terodde turns it around to keep FC top

Simon Terodde to the rescue – once more! After Ingolstadt took the lead in second half, Cologne’s goalscorer turned the tide.

Foto: Lars Baron/Bongarts/Getty Images

In what looked set to be another frustrating home performance, Simon Terodde stepped up when it mattered to take 1. FC Köln to all three points. He countered Sonny Kittel’s opener for FC Ingolstadt 04 to score from the spot and with a late header to complete the comeback and secure an important win. It would have been little surprise to FC fans that Markus Anfang made just one change from the win over Sandhausen, as Sehrou Guirassy dropped to the bench in favour of the returning Jonas Hector. The captain was back after a one-match suspension for his red card against Paderborn.

As for Ingolstadt, this was their first chance to impress under Alexander Nouri. The former Werder Bremen head coach was keen to change things up from the get-go, as he switched to a 3-5-2. Frederic Ananou and Konstantin Kerschbaumer (suspended) missed out, as Benedikt Gimber and Charliston Benschop came into the side.

Terodde tries but fails to break the deadlock

It was understandable that Ingolstadt were taking a while to get used to things under Nouri, given that he had only been appointed the day before and had immediately opted to change the system. That allowed FC to dominate from the start, and they duly took the chance to do so.

However, despite having most of the ball and the play, they failed to make their chances pay. Terodde started the game in the right manner by tidying up from a Marco Knaller, yet fired his effort from eight yards wide. That was to be the story of the first-half.

The best chance fell midwaym through the half when Dominick Drexler managed to work some space to cross for Terodde at the back post. He sent the header back across goal, yet Knaller produced a fine reflex save to deny the league’s top goalscorer.

Ingolstadt started to come on strong towards the end of the first half and Sonny Kittel brought a fine save from Timo Horn after a long-range free-kick. Dario Lezcano had a late effort blocked for a corner, which resulted in Benedikt Gimber heading over just as the half-time whistle went.

Terodde takes his chance

The visitors picked up where they left off after the restart and were fully rewarded for their pressure. A ball across the face of goal from Thomas Pledl was left by Lezcano for Kittel, and his shot caught Horn by surprise to fly in at the near post and give the travelling fans hope that their season was to finally turn around.

It could have been two had Marvin Matip’s header not bounced back out off the inside of the post to be cleared by Rafael Czichos. That finally seemed to spark the hosts into life in the second period, and the onslaught began.

FC got their goal when Marcel Risse was tripped in the box by Kittel, and Simon Terodde fully took responsibility and sent Knaller the wrong way from 12 yards. Lezcano could have returned the favour immediately, but for Timo Horn to make a fine save with his boot.

Then Köln struck again, with just five minutes remaining, to heap further misery on Ingolstadt. Louis Schaub’s corner to the near post was flicked on to the back post by Terodde, and evaded everyone to send the home fans wild after a late salvo. It wasn’t pretty but it was probably deserved on the whole. Yet again, it was a certain forward who stole the headlines.

Köln’s win sets them up for a huge clash against Arminia Bielefeld on Friday, who scored twice in three minutes to beat Darmstadt at the death. As for Ingolstadt, they have a few more days to rest ahead of the visit of Union Berlin on Monday.

KOE: (4-1-4-1) T. Horn; Risse, Sobiech, Czichos, Hector; Höger (Cordoba 84’); Clemens (Guirassy 62’), Schaub, Drexler, J. Horn; Terodde (Özcan 86’).

FCI: (3-5-2) Knaller; Matip, Schröck, Lucas Galvao; Pledl, Krauße (Osawe 87’), Kittel (Röcher 80’), Gimber, Paulo Otavio; Benschop (Kutschke 71’), Lezcano.

Goals: 0:1, Kittel 53’. 1:1, Terodde PEN 70’. 2:1, Terodde 85’.

Referee: Arne Aarnink (Nordhorn).

Booked: Lezcano (36’), Gimber (51’), Krauße (57’), Hector (67’), Otavio (79’).

Mehr aus In English